Numerous historical markers are located throughout the area, including:
San Jacinto County Courthouse which was constructed about 1918 following the destruction by fire of the original courthouse in 1915 at Old Town. The 2nd governor of Texas, George T. Wood, made his home at Point Blank. His grave site is open to the public and is located one mile south of Point Blank overlooking Lake Livingston in Robinson Cemetery. A historical marker is located in Old Town at the site of the old San Jacinto County Jail is now the county museum.
Coldspring United Methodist Church, located on Hwy. 150, downtown Coldspring. Believed to be the oldest Methodist Church in continuous use in Texas today.
First Baptist Church of Coldspring (Laurel Hill Baptist Church ) 100 East Pine Avenue. Marker gives a brief history of the church which was organized in 1914.
Old San Jacinto County Jail. located behind old Coldspring High School on Slade Street off FM 1514.
Big Thicket Historical Marker at a rest area on Highway 150, Coldspring. The area was notorious as a haunt for army deserters during the Civil War.
Coldspring Town site, located on the San Jacinto County Courthouse Square - land obtained from a Mexican Land Grant made to Col. Robert Rankin. First named Coonskin in 1847, then Fireman’s Hill, and finally Cold Springs in 1850. The spelling changed to Coldspring in 1894.
Trapp-McClanahan Home , 50 Hill Avenue. The historic home was built around 1880.
Council Hill, located on private property off FM 222 in Camilla. Home of Vernal B. Lea, brother of Mrs. Sam Houston.
Coushatta Indians, located at Coley Creek 6.5 miles east of Shepherd on FM 223. Inhabited by tribe from about 1835 to 1900.
Laurel Hill Cemetery, located on FM 1514 on edge of Coldspring.
Evergreen United Methodist Church, organized about 1862, seven years before formation of San Jacinto County. Located on Highway 150 west of Coldspring in Evergreen community, east of blinking lights at intersection of Highway 150 and FM 945.
J.M. Hansbro Law Office, built 1870, was the first structure moved to new site of Coldspring after fire destroyed first town site in 1915. San Jacinto County Abstract Company housed in the building many years. County’s first telephone was installed here. Located on San Jacinto County Courthouse Square on Highway 150.
Old Waverly Community, early center of culture for this part of Texas. Settled 1835-1850. Located Highway 150, 13.8 miles west of Coldspring near Walker County line.
Pine Valley Missionary Baptist Church & Cemetery, located 16 miles west of Coldspring off FM 2693 via Highway 150. Organized about 1868.
Raven Hill, located on private property off FM 946 south near Oakhurst in Raven Hill community. Plantation home of Gen. Sam Houston who was called “The Raven” by the Cherokee Indians. Built 1844. Sold before 1860.
Oakwood Cemetery (aka Methodist Cemetery), located on Cemetery Road in Coldspring.
San Jacinto County Marker. located on Hwy. 150 opposite San Jacinto County Fairgrounds in Coldspring. Anglo-Americans settled here after 1820. Formed from portions of Polk, Montgomery, Liberty, and Walker counties. Created January 1, 1870. County seat 1870.
Shepherd Methodist Church, organized 1882 in town of Shepherd one block north of Hwy. 150, Shepherd.
Governor Woods Grave, located near the entrance to Robinson Cemetery one mile south of Point Blank. A large monument commemorating Gov. George Woods, a former Texas governor, whose grave was unmarked for nearly 53 years. Wood served from 1849 to 1851.
Mount Capers Cemetery, located 11.5 miles east of Riverside on county road, 4.5 miles off FM 980.
Isaac Jones Grave, located off Hwy. 150 in Point Blank.
Shepherd Town Marker, located on Hwy. 150, Shepherd. Originated in vicinity of Old Drew’s Landing.
Mt. Zion Cemetery, south of Hwy. 156, 3 miles southeast of Point Blank.
Andrew Jackson Isaacks Grave Marker, in Oak Shade Cemetery, Hwy. 105, 4 miles east of Cleveland.
General James Davis Marker, in Laurel Hill Cemetery on FM 1514.
Robert Todd Robinson House, .75 miles south of Point Blank on Hwy. 156. This site is on private property.
Homesite of George Tyler Wood, Near the intersection of Hwy. 190 and Hwy. 156, Point Blank.
Rest area on Hwy. 150 Coldspring
San Jacinto County 1936 Centennial Marker
A brief history of the sites is written on the official Texas Historical Markers.